Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tropical Getaway.

Although it's a chilly February in Oklahoma, it's always nice to imagine a tropical getaway on an island somewhere.  When enjoying the sand, surf, and sun, what could be better than a tropical smoothie to cool off a bit? 
Today, we'll be talking about one of my personal favorite flavor combinations--The Tropical Smoothie.  While a tropical smoothie could contain any tropic fruit, I tend to prefer the flavors of mango, pineapple, and maybe even a little coconut.  However, it's important to make due with what you have.  Kiwis are always a great tropical addition, as are guavas, if you have them.  For these types of smoothies, I prefer them a bit thicker, so I usually add a little more ice and a little less milk than usual.  If you're like me and enjoy the texture of coconut, you can throw in coconut shreds or slices.  Or, if you'd just prefer the flavor without the texture, coconut milk works great. 
I do feel that I should add a little disclaimer to this post; tropical smoothies are not the healthiest, since tropical fruits are so high in sugars.  For those of you who are choosing to drink smoothies for health reasons, these smoothies are not for you.  However, check out a health-food smoothie blog here.  She recounts her weight loss on smoothies in this blog post, so she has some insightful smoothie options.  I really enjoyed her ideas on weight loss, but I'm not much for green smoothies; I'll stick to fruits, please. 
Check back soon for more smoothie ideas and combinations!

No comments:

Post a Comment